Because it's been a long time since I've done a ref of what Turtle actually looks like now. XD And since there's been a lot of confusion lately as to exactly what and who Turtle is, I figured it was time for an updated ref! So now, let me explain. lol! (Also, Epic Turtle will probably get one of these here soon as well)
This is Turtle. Turtle is in fact female, just to clear that up. She is a multipurpose character that serves as both an independent mascot character, and sometimes as a persona of myself. Turtle's name comes purely from my username, which was created before this character was ever made, and then given to the character for consistency's sake. She is not, in any way, an actual Turtle, so no need to keep pointing that out to me. I'm aware of it. XD Turtle is technically an anthropomorphic character, but she's not an "anthro" in the pop culture sense. (You know the kind I'm talking about. -3-) She is bipedal, but moves on all fours pretty frequently since she moves more like a small primate than a human.
I created this character specifically for the purpose of serving as a mascot/persona, so she was designed entirely based around personal likes and preferences. Mostly I made her to have an easier thing to draw for representing myself, rather than having to draw self-portraits every time I wanted to show me. XD Turtle's base design was created by me hybridizing several of my favorite animals, the four major contributors being: Panda, Fox, Rabbit, and Bat. She wears a green scarf simply because green is my favorite color. (Which, I left the scarf tails off of the standing images so you guys could see her figure easier). Turtle doesn't have actual hair, she just has a long tuft of blonde fur on her head meant to resemble my own hair, in both style and color. Similarly, Turtle has the same eye color as I do- dark, nearly black brown. Turtle has vestigial wings that expand out similar to a flying squirrel's but have a shape more like a bat's. However, her wings are not large enough to allow for strong, sustained flight. She is more adept at gliding and fluttering from spot to spot. Standing upright, Turtle is about three and a half feet tall, not including her ears.
And now, for some other fun facts about this character:
1. Turtle is drawn slightly differently when she is being used as a persona. Namely, when Turtle is meant to represent me more directly, she's usually drawn with glasses, like the ones I actually wear. When she's functioning more as a mascot, she doesn't usually have glasses.
2. Sometimes Turtle is drawn with five fingers, and sometimes only four- depending on how I'm feeling that day. XD
3. Similarly, Turtle's scarf sometimes has two tails, and sometimes only one- again, entirely depending on how I'm feeling that day. Also, the length of the scarf tails are almost always changing- generally to whatever length best suits the composition for an image.
4. In case you hadn't noticed by now, Turtle is not exactly a static character, and her appearance is somewhat variable depending on the context of an image.
5. The very first design of Turtle was actually a small fox with panda markings and a green bandana that I drew in the margins of my class notes. I didn't decide to make her more humanoid until later.
6. Turtle does not have any character back story, and does not have a concrete personality as that is usually filled by my own personality.
7. Turtle is in fact one of three "Turtle characters" the other two being Epic Turtle, and myself (as Turtle is my online nickname).
So there you go- your basic guide to what and who Turtle is! Hope this clears some things up for you all!
Art and character copyright Anna Earley, 2013
All rights reserved