So, Soul Eater has definitely gone up on the list of "Anime shows that I actually bothered to watch and liked." I haven't finished the show yet- got about 12-13 episodes to go I think, but I actually really enjoy it! I know a lot of people think it's cheesy and cliche... which it kind of it, but I think it's a very well-handled show for the most part. Plus, the kids turn into weapons? How cool is that?
I'm a personal fan of the girl who turns into a flamethrower and the guy who turns into a chainsaw.
Anyways, I like the girl characters in the show (mostly Liz and Patty) but the male characters are by far my favorite... which is why they're the only ones who showed up in this pic. By the way, these are all outfits I made up, so there's no canon clothing here. Though Crona's outfit is sort of a shout out to Medusa's motif. I thought he could use a little more similarity to her. (Poor crazy kid) XD And now I suppose I'll give my thoughts on these guys. :3 (This is gonna be a bit long)
From bottom to top
1. Soul Eater Evans- Yup, in case you didn't notice, Soul Eater is the title character of the show... leave it to the Japanese to name their characters "words" instead of actual names. I mean, the kid's name is Soul Eater... what were his parent's thinking? It's not so bad though since he just goes by Soul in the show.
I like Soul's character (also his ridiculous shark teeth) though at times he seems to be a bit hypocritical. Also, I was never quite sure- is Soul supposed to be albino, or does he just randomly have pale skin/white hair/red eyes? I'm gonna say he's albino because it's more fun. :3 Also, am I the only one who thinks Soul's second outfit design is completely dorky? The first one was much better.
Anyways, I find it a little odd that Soul is the only male, weapon, lead character. (I'm not counting Crona as a weapon because technically he's not) But I'm not complaining. Soul is a scythe weapon, which is cool, if not a little old. (I prefer the guillotine guy) Basically, Soul can turn into a full scythe, or he can manifest scythe blades out of his body (usually turns his arm into a blade) But he can also make them pop up in totally random places, like out of his shoulders or back. So here's my question- For a long time in the show Soul complains about how he wants to be able to fight alone, right? So why doesn't he just turn his fingers or hands into blades and fight with them like claws or daggers? That's why I decided to draw Soul's hands like that, because I liked the idea of him turning his fingers into scythe claws. :3
2. Black Star- Yup, another kid with a weird name. XD And he doesn't even have a last name, it's just Black Star- usually written with a star between the two words. Anyways, Black Star is one of the Meister characters (or Technician if you prefer that title) AND he's a freakin ninja. lol! A very loud, immature, annoying ninja who talks a big game but can't always back it up... I'm picking up some orange jumpsuit vibes. >_> Actually, I think Black Star's character is meant to be a direct mockery of characters like Naruto.
Which, if that's true, then more power to you Black Star! Bravo. XD
At first I thought Black Star was obnoxious and annoying... plus he's very obviously voiced by a girl, which is weird because he's the most masculine of all the main male characters.
However, he's definitely grown on me and by the later points of the series I actually rather like him. Plus, Enchanted/Demon Sword mode Black Star is coooool.
Also, I like his ridiculous hair, which is weird because blue hair usually puts me off. However, sometimes in the show when they draw his hair it looks like he has a big blue unicorn horn. -3- Neigh, whiny whiny. I did a bit of editing on his hair style to make it less unicorny. (lol) Plus, I also like how Black Star actually IS strong later, and he totally pwns people. One of his greatest moments? Definitely when he knocks the shizzy out of Maka (the main girl lead) with a single punch to the face. (P.S. hitting girls is bad) I laughed so hard! On a different note, Black Star's age confuses me. He looks like he's supposed to be around 14-15, like what I assume the other characters are, but he's the only one who is repeatedly referred to as a child. Which I usually stop calling someone a child at around 9-10. (They're a kid from 10-13, then a teen from 14-19 for me) So how old exactly is Black Star supposed to be?
3. Death the Kid- Yup, another character without a real name. Technically his name is Death, but since he's more like "Death in training" he is simply referred to by all characters as Kid. Kid is by far my favorite character in the show, as well as one of my most favorite characters in general. (He totally made it onto my top ten fave characters meme, remember?) Unlike the other main characters, he is not human. Instead, Kid is a shinigami, or Reaper (if you prefer that title). He's the son of Shinigami/Lord Death/the God of Death (whatever you want to call his dad... I calls him crazy. lol!) As such, Kid gets cool shinigami powers and abilities, including immunity to most poisons, special (highly asymmetrical) martial arts styles, magic flying skateboards, the inability to be sunburned (lol), etc.
To put Kid's character simply- he's a highly intelligent, refined teen who is... well, completely crazy.
Kid is highly neurotic and suffers from extreme OCD concerning symmetry. Basically, if Kid comes across something that is asymmetrical, he does one of two things
1. Kills it with fire
2. Flips out and goes into massive depression until the things is taken away or made symmetrical.
And that's what makes Kid so epicly awesome, and extremely funny at the same time.
And what did they do to make him even better? Well, they gave a symmetry-obsessed kid three white stripes on only one side of his hair. XD Oh Japanese, why you so funny?
Anyways, Kid is a dual pistol user, and I love the fact that he holds his pistols upside down and shoots with his pinkies... I just can't draw it. :c Also, Death cannon? Yes please. :3 Another thing I like about Kid is that he basically has only four facial expressions- Bored, mildly entertained, spiraling depression (lol), and totally pissed. It makes for a very funny response to other characters.
The downside to Kid is that he can be a bit of a pushover at times. He's a formidable opponent, but once the enemy figures out his weakness, Kid is easily beaten to a pulp in a matter of minutes. :/
4. Crona- I guess his name would technically be Crona Gorgon, but a last name is never given, so I'm not sure. Now, the first thing you should know about Crona (if you don't know already) is that a gender is NEVER actually specified for this character. There are a lot of people who believe Crona is a boy, and just as many who think Crona is a girl. Personally, I think Crona is a boy (which is why he's on here) because in the show he is referred to (and refers to himself as) Demon-swordsman, get that? SwordsMAN. Crona is always referred to as a he by the other characters (at least in the the english dub and subs) and in Japanese he refers to himself with a masculine form of "I" (though is is sometimes used by tougher girls I guess). If you think Crona's a girl, that's fine, but I'll be referring to him as a boy. :I
Anyways, I actually really like Crona. At first I was a bit put off by his... well, his weirdness, but he grew on me pretty quickly. Although, I still think it looks like someone cut his hair with a weed whacker. XD I'm a fan of Crona's unusual ability to defy his own skeletal structure (lol) as well as the fact that his weapon is actually fused into his blood.
His weapon, a demon-sword named Ragnarok, is pretty cool, but he can be a bit obnoxious at times. Though, nowhere near as annoying as Excalibur.
When in humanoid-form, Ragnarok comes out of Crona's upper back, which frankly, is rather... disturbing. >_> I don't know about you but I think I would be freaking out if a had another person coming out of my shoulders. Anyways, I'm actually more of a fan of crazy, evil Crona I think. He was just totally psycho, and it made for a really cool antagonist. I also like how ridiculously timid his personality is- it makes for a nice tension piece against his more psychotic side. Friendly "good" Crona is nice too, but he's just such a wuss sometimes that it's hard to see him as having any of the power he had earlier in the story.
Yes, I'm done now. :I I just want you all to know that it took FOREVER to color all those dumb arrows. -3-
Art by and property of
Soul Eater is owned by Funimation... I think.