So, I'd been thinking about this for a while and finally decided to do some little pics for it.
Now, we all love winged characters, right? Right. Even I love characters with wings, even though I'm not usually into mixing human and animal traits like that. But no matter what the reason, it seems like most people have a soft spot for winged folk. For me, that winged fellow is my OC Roland. :3 But a while back I got to thinking- what would it actually be like to have wings? Especially ones large enough to sustain flight for a creature of human size? Personally, I think it would be a huge pain in the butt. XD Granted, being able to fly trumps all the downsides, but try to imagine how annoying wings would be and how often they would get in the way? So while I was thinking about this for Roland, I realized a few things.
1. You would probably hit a lot of people accidentally in passing with that large of an appendage on your back. Oops.
2. It would be really hard to lay on your back if you had wings. And with wings as big as Roland's it would be difficult to lay on your side as well. You would always have to sleep on your stomach to keep from laying on or smooshing your wings.
3. It would be really hard to sit in any kind of chair with a back. You'd have to find backless seats (like a stool) to really sit comfortably, but then you would have nothing to lean back against. :<
4. Wings that large would be very heavy to lug around. And it's not like you could put them down for a while or anything. Also, for feathered wings like Roland's, I'd imagine they'd just get even heavier when they got wet.
5. And lastly, it would be really hard to put on shirts if you had wings. Really, I don't think it'd be possible to put on a normal shirt with wings that large, even if you cut holes for the wings to fit through. That's why Roland usually wears backless shirts that go on more like an apron. They're much easier to get on and off and they don't restrict his wings like a full shirt would.
Oh, and the invasive people one comes from the fact that I figure a lot of people would want to touch your wings if they were pretty looking. XD
*Edit* P.S. I am fully aware of the fact that winged people would be used to these problems and would have found ways to deal with them, so you don't need to keep mentioning it to me.
This was done mostly for humor, and to point out some simple problems that winged people would've had to have learned to deal with. No biggie. (This was also made with my character in mind, and he lives in a society where only some of the people have wings, so not everything is made to accommodate his large wings size)
Art and Roland property of
Bohater property of